Wednesday, August 24, 2011

#15.- Climbing Stairs


Today, after sometime without doing it, I've restarted climbing stairs.
I work in a 6+1  floor (between the 4th and the 5th floor there is a hidden floor that isn't accessible going by lift).
Until now I used the lift to go up to the office.
Really is a good exercise for our legs and a good way to save electrical energy. I the company where I work we have started a "go green" policy, that supports workers to adopt "green practices" to reduce our carbon foot print.
Some numbers:

  • The tall of each floor is more or less 3 meters
  • Then, If I climb the stairs one time per day I climb above 21 meters a day
  • That means more than 100 meters a week. This is the same to say above 400 meters in a month
  • If I would continue this practice during a year I could cumulate more than 4.400 meters. In two years I would reached the same amount where an aircraft flys !!!

I don't know how many time I will work in the same place, but... if I will be here 10 years, I would reach more than 44.000 meters!!!!

And I can do similar calculations with the saved electrical energy. You should be noticed that a lift consumes energy also when the lift moves up and down without passangers or when the lift doesn't turn the light off when nobody use it.

Often, people don't realize about continous and perseverant small practices and attitudes can produce big and revolutionary changes along the time.

Según estimaciones de la FEEDA (Federación Española de Asociaciones de Empresas de Ascensores) el parque de ascensores en España se acerca al millón de aparatos, por lo que con esta medida se podría conseguir un ahorro superior a 400.000.000 de kWh cada año. Equivale al consumo medio en electricidad de 100.000 hogares españoles y evitaría la emisión de 160.000 t de CO2.


And don't forget the high benefits for our health!
If we do a responsible use of lifts (and other services) we could avoid the use of some nuclear central....

Maybe is a bit exagerated but is something to think about it, and knowing that these small changes that are on my hand can be revolutionary, make me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your comment. Write something that let your body calm and happy.